Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mothering Day

Several years ago, I did some research on Mother's Day for my children. I thought I had heard the history before and needed to confirm it. Now, it's time to revisit the reason we celebrate the mothers in our life.

Most people frown on quoting Wikipedia, but their article on Mother's Day is the most exhaustive I know and the facts are backed up elsewhere. It has detail on other countries celebrations as well as the history of the US Mother's day. You can read it here.

"In 1914 President Woodrow Wilson declared the first national Mother's Day, as a day for American citizens to show the flag in honor of those mothers whose sons had died in war." The idea was pushed by Anna Jarvis' daughter (also named Anna) in her memory.

So it was started by a woman whose mother had died.

What is sad, is that "nine years after the first official Mother's Day, commercialization of the U.S. holiday became so rampant that Anna Jarvis herself became a major opponent of what the holiday had become." This was around 1923, imagine if she were alive today!

Regardless of the commercialization and Anna's (and my) attitude towards commercialization, we should still take this day to honor the mothers in our lives.

First, to my own mother. Thanks mom! You sacrificed for me through my teen-aged years and modelled the way I was supposed to behave in so many ways. I still remember seeing you praying at as the VBS leader, so many years ago.

Second, to my wife. Mother of two that stepped in seven years ago to help me with three more. Sometimes appreciated, sometimes not, you've never quit trying. Thank you for what you have done and are continuing to do for these five (and spouses).

To the mothers of my grandchildren (one born, two in the womb). Thank-you for allowing me to spoil your children. I promise, I will give them back to you once they are full of sticky stuff (hopefully before it comes back out) and complete with toys. It's important that they know Grandpa's best.

To mothers-in-waiting. Patience. Your day will come in God's time. Relax today and enjoy a day of quiet. Those days won't last long.

To mothers-in-wanting. My heart goes out to you. I know that doesn't even begin to make this day any easier for you. Please know that God has a special plan for you and His heart goes out to you also.

I would be remiss if I didn't say something to the mother of my children. As a mother for 15 years, you showed the Way to three very special children. As long as they live, you live on in their hearts.

No comments: