Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Character Matters

This has been on my mind a lot the last several days. The phrase "character matters". I first heard it as a political comment. The president had committed some indescretions. Some people said it was a part of his personal life and it shouldn't interfere with his political life. Others said that character matters.

This is NOT intended as a political comment. You can find plenty of politicians on BOTH sides of the aisle who show that they think character doesn't matter, at least by part of their lives. My question to you is this: Do you think Character matters?

If you say yes, I'd like to ask What does Character mean to you?

To me, character matters. Whether electing someone to office, or hiring them for a job. In many cases, which contractor to use. Which store to shop at. Who to hang around with.

To me, the most important part of character is integrity. Does a person's walk match his talk? Does he do what he says he will do? Does he follow through. Honesty is another, equal factor. Can I trust this person to tell the truth. When he says "yes" does he mean yes? Can I trust him with a dollar, my car, my family? When I ask a question, is the answer the truth or did he fib just a little?

Another part of character is dependability. When I need help, will the person be there? Will he show up for a job at the appointed time? Keep his appointments. Work as hard on the little things as he does on the big.

Consistency is crucial. Working hard one day, slacking off the next doesn't help anyone. I'd rather have someone who did consitently mediocre work than have a yo-yo.

What do you think? Does character matter? What does it mean to you?

No comments: