About a week ago, I made a joke about a mayor's "State of the City" address. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the humor came through. But it seems like it must be a slow news cycle because all of the internet is buzzing about something that hasn't happened yet, President Obama's third State of the Union speech.
There's discussion on which Supreme Court Justices will show up. Last year, the president took the Constitution-required speech and added political comments criticizing the Supremes. If they don't show up, it won't be the first time, but it's sure to garner a lot of attention.
And there's a lot of talk about what the President will say. So I thought I'd lay out my predictions:
- One of the survivors of the Tucson shooting will be present and the President will early on offer support for Rep. Giffords. The President will talk about civility, words that heal and not hurt, etc. There will be a moment of silence for the Federal Judge and others who lost their lives.
- The President will talk about the Obamacare law, how good it is and how the congress should not repeal it. He'll vow to fight for the law
- The President will talk about jobs & the economy. He'll talk about how he inherited this mess and it's much worse than anyone thought. But he'll say that he's accepting responsibility for fixing it.
- The President will say something about the recent Chinese President Hu Jintao.This will be related to economics and will make the president look good. (I think this will be something that no one expected).
- After 30-45 minutes of applause, etc, the President will spend 1-2 minutes talking about foreign policy, Afghanistan, Iraq, Korea and other countries of the world.
- There will be a Republican presponse to the State of the Union. They will focus on the economy, repealing Obamacare and say some nice things about Rep. Giffords and the Tucson shooting.
- No one will talk about gun control. It's a topic no one wants to touch.
- Republicans may talk about TARP and other past stimulus packages.
So, watch the speeches and give me a score.. If you want to make your own predictions, feel free, I'll score you also...
*Update* I'm also predicting Pres. Obama will speak preemptively about the debt ceiling. By doing so, he will box Republicans in a corner.