Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Is heaven just for Christians? Apparently atheists think so

All dogs go to heaven. You've seen the movie. You know a friend who is a different religion and you think they go to heaven. Or you believe that a loving God wouldn't send anyone to hell, so everyone must go to heaven.

Well, it appears the American Atheists disagree. This article quotes David Silverman the president of American Atheists as saying "Heaven is a specifically Christian place." The article basically says that the city of New York has renamed a street to "Seven in Heaven Way" to honor seven who died in the 9/11 attack. As a result, the atheists aren't happy.

Silverman said that "all memorials for fallen heroes should celebrate the diversity of our country." Now I would have thought that the memorials should point directly to those fallen heroes, but I guess I'm wrong. He also said "these heroes might have been Jews, they might have been atheists" which implies to me that he hasn't even tried to find out. It would be interesting to find out if he would change his mind about the street name if he learned that the seven heroes were all indeed Christians. I kinda doubt he would, atheists seem to want to eradicate every mention of heaven and God. Maybe we'll have to start calling these words the "h-word" or the "G-word".

But the one thing I took from this article was the atheists believe that heaven is uniquely Christian place.

3 comments:

Neil said...

"But the one thing I took from this article was the atheists believe that heaven is uniquely Christian place."

Hey, they got one thing right!

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

I heard about this on the radio while driving into Cedar Rapids. My first thought was, "Atheism is a religion, too!" They don't seem to get it. I am really sick of people being "offended" - as if they have a right not to be offended. I'm offended by them!

Randy said...

Neil, I knew you'd like that part...

Glenn, I couldn't agree with you more. The thing I found most interesting was the city had meetings announcing the street name and no one objected. These guys came in after the fact.