Thursday, May 16, 2013

Word picture - crave

Ok, I've published my favorite two (the only two I know) word pictures, integrity and detente. Both words have descriptive backgrounds, stories that paint a picture in your mind.

Now I'm looking for help in creating a new word picture. It should be tied to some other culture or language and possibly come from the same root word.

The word that needs a picture is crave. Another option, would be the word yearn.

There are times when I crave the company of my children. Times when I yearn to be with my wife, just to touch her hand, to see her smile.

These feelings need a better word than just crave and yearn, so I'm asking for your help. Help me find a word and a word picture that means crave or yearn, a word picture that fits the feeling.

Special note: for those that read the Bible, Job 19:27 has this same feeling "How my heart yearns within me" and Psalm 42:1 "so my soul pants for you, O God." I think Job and David had trouble coming up with a word picture just like me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Definition of crave from the Longman Online Dictionary of Contemporary English.
------------------------------
Miami Beach Condominium

Randy said...

Sherri, I published your comment even though it contained a link. I haven't clicked on the link - it doesn't look safe. But I do think the idea of a Miami Beach Condominium fits with the idea of crave...

Randy said...

Three years after I posted this, I got a comment (which I won't publish) that said "
Well Written post, You are very Skilled blogger. Thanks a lot for Sharing worthable information."

I don't think worthable is a word, but I appreciate the sentiment.

The commenter (which isn't a word either) then inlcuded links to several payday lending and title lending websites. I guess they didn't read my previous blog posts on those type of loans.