Thursday, May 10, 2007

Summer reading list

Schools sometimes hand out a summer reading list and since I'm finishing school, (as if you haven't heard that enough) I've developed my own list. Most of these are books I have gathered over the last three years but haven't been able to get a round tuit. Two or three of these I actually started, but could never finish.

Comments, suggested additions or subtractions are welcome. Roughly in order of the intended reading:

1) The Wisdom of the Crowds - James Surowiecki (started twice, almost finished)
2) Maxed Out: Hard Times, Easy Credit and the Era of Predatory Lending - James Scurlock
4) Wild at Heart - John Eldredge (started once before, but school got in the way)
4) Op Center - Call to Treason - Tom Clancy
5) Red Rabbit - Tom Clancy (true Clancy, not Op Center)
6) The 9/11 Commission Report - (I've read reports on the report, never the report itself)
7) The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown (seen the movie - hope the book is better)
8) The DaVinci Code: A Quest for Answer - Josh McDowell (seems like a good companion)
9) The Hitchhiker's Guide - Six stories in one - Douglas Adams (started one of these in High School, not sure what happened)
10) The Book of Totally Useless Information (just my style)
11) Tales From Clemson's 1981 Championship Season (the year after my undgrade degree)
12) America On Trial - Alan Dershowitz

Books I don't have, but look interesting:
13) What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture shaped the PC Industry - John Markoff
14) The Age of Abundance: How Prosperity Transformed America's Politics and Culture - Brink Lindsey
14) Wikinomics: How Mass Collaboration Changes Everything - Don Tapscott

This should get me through the summer and more..

3 comments:

Neil said...

Nice list! I should be reading more, but I spend too much time blogging.

Adam said...

Add these to your list:
The Power and the Glory (Graham Greene)
A Prayer for Owen Meaney (John Irving)


The Da Vinci Code is really good. The movie is not.

David said...

I read about 3/4 of the 9/11 report right after it came out but I just couldn't make myself finish it. If I remember right the events of the attack itself are mostly covered in the first chapter and I'd highly recommend reading that part at least. After that it just sort of wore me down with details of the planning.