Monday, September 22, 2008

There will be wars and rumors of wars

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to misquote the subject verse. It's one of my favorites and I misquote it often to fit whatever need arises.

But my point always matches the point of the original verse. Matthew 24:6-7 is when the disciples talk about the end times. Jesus' answer is that there will be wars and rumors of wars, but that's not the end. Things may look bad, but it's not all over (yet).

I think the point is that there will always be bad things happen. But it's not the end of the world. So what are we to do about it? Jesus answered that later in verse 41, when He said "Watch and pray." Be alert, prepare and pray. When you turn it over to Jesus, you don't have to worry about it any more.

This morning I got a call that a co-worker passed away over the weekend. I've worked with him (mostly by phone) for about 5 or 6 years at a couple of different customers. He was 64, scheduled to retire the end of this year. I don't know much about his personal life, we didn't work that closely together. But it seems that he was not that old, in reasonably good health and had a reasonably good life.

So, is it coincidence that this verse came to me over the weekend? It was a very different setting. It had nothing to do with death. But it seems to me that this was brought to my attention to prepare me for this news..

2 comments:

The Elliotts said...

Thanks for bringing this up today. I've often heard people quote that verse about the "end of time." About how now that we have wars going on (like the world hasn't been at war since the beginning of time) that "Jesus is coming back soon." Now, I don't necessarily believe that He's not, but it's helpful to be reminded that "wars and rumors of wars" isn't necessarily the sign that everyone is looking for.

Sorry to hear about your co-worker.

Brooke said...

Sorry about the co-worker. 64 is too young to go! Kind of reminds us that our own numbers could be up anytime no matter what our plans are!