Friday, April 20, 2007

A day of mourning

In many areas, today is a day of mourning for the Virginia Tech students and faculty killed in this weeks' massacre. At lunch time today, I plan on finding a place to quietly pray. I want to make it an intentional act, although no one will see it. But I want it intentional so that I go at least somewhat out of my way. Anything less would be disrespectful.

My son looked for something maroon and orange to wear today in memory of those. He settled for dark blue with some orange. His first choice was mostly orange with a little purple, but his concern was this was a competing college. He was worried it would look very out-of-place.

I have quickly tired of the news, but can't ignore the news on the VT victims. I have decided to ignore any news about Cho and am personally boycotting networks and radio programs that choose to focus on that. The right thing to do would be to let us mourn, then slowly revisit the "why's". Cho should be given no airtime.

My heart also goes out the Cho's family. They suffer in this as much as any other family. A news report a few minutes ago said they are under police protection. That's sad, that they need it, but understandable.

My son had an idea, that stores (he mentioned a big box store) should sell VT shirts/hats/etc and donate the profits this week to some VT charity. Has anyone heard of anything like that going on? Anyone heard of any charities set up specifically for this purpose?

No comments: