Monday, May 11, 2009

Star Trek - no spoilers

Ok, tonight I went to see the new Star Trek movie. Don't worry, I won't spoil it for you. I will tell you that it will blow your mind. Ok, if you watch the Big Bang Theory and you're like Sheldon, that means I already spoiled it. But if so, that's just too bad.

I will say the movie was great. It stayed true to The Original Series (TOS), with a few changes that were explained. Yes, there were one or two cheesy lines, but they were easily overlooked (I'm a blogger, not a critic). There was very little use of old tricks from the series and when they were used, they made sense.

You get introduced to most of the characters from TOS. I have to say my favorite is Bones (Dr. McCoy). You learn new things about him that are funny. The character is better than I ever imagined. I never saw Nurse Chapel, but heard her name called once. And Yeoman Rand was missing (or at least I missed her). All of the other characters were there. And very believable.

The movie had some good special effects, but the writers didn't rely on that to make the movie. Ok, there was too much hand to hand fighting and maybe a little too much space fighting, but hey this is Star Trek. Yes, Kirk is shown with his shirt off, but again...

My only complaint was the profanity. We made it through three years of the series without any profanity, we could have gone through two hours of the movie without it.

I give the movie a solid thumbs up and I'd go see it again.

You also meet Captain Pike. Some of us remember Captain Christoper Pike from TOS or the original pilot. Something about him stuck with me through the whole movie. When I got back here, I looked him up on the Internet and realized that he was played by Bruce Greenwood. This is the same guy who starred in my all-time-favorite-too-soon-cancelled TV Show "No Where Man." (sometime I have to see if I can get that on DVD). It made me like Captain Pike even more than I did in the original pilot.

10 comments:

Nena said...

I'm glad you were able to go see the "Enterprise". I know what you will be asking for at Christmas. We will start looking for it now. :)

Brooke said...

I'm so jealous! I can't wait until I can go!

Alli and Erik said...

ha! I am so amazed Erik has not left a comment yet. We saw it, loved it, and would go back a 2nd time if we were rich! We WILL own that one. All the parts/people we didn't see will obviously be in the next one. I think there will be one.

Chuck said...

Saw it Saturday, it was great. Love the Big Bang Theory too.

Randy said...

Nena, when I get home we can go see it together. I won't mind sitting through it a second time.

Brooke, I know you'll enjoy it.

Alli, maybe it's been a while since I wnt to a movie. I had to pay $9.75 this time. I couldn't believe it!

Chuck. Yep, Bing Bang Theory rocks..

Brian the Red said...

My wife and I saw it on Thursday and were entertained. The casting was spot on, the plot was good, the Nimoy role was handled great, but ultimately we are too old for this kind of movie. The pace is frenetic, to paraphrase Dorothy Gale, "My! Scenes come and go so quickly here!"

Brian the Red said...

Oh, "Nowhere Man" is available on DVD. The complete series (9 discs) is available from Netflix. Never saw it originally, no local UPN network then. Might give it a whirl.

Randy said...

Brian, glad you liked it too! I'll look for Nowhere Man on DVD. I dropped Netflix as I just wasn't watching the movies. But you'll enjoy it!

Brooke said...

I just saw Trek! It was fantastic!!!

"The Edge" said...

Trek was way cool! I'm looking forward to the next one....