Monday, March 12, 2007

Crime and punishment

This class I'm taking is making me super-paranoid. It's called White Collar Crime, but it looks at lots of other crimes too. Tonight, we saw a film about someone in a Florida jail for murder. He was stealing credit card numbers and buying stuff. He would have it shipped to a drop location outside the jail. Someone would take the stuff and sell it, he and the outside assistant would split the money.

The interviewer called the man a con artist. He said he guessed that was true. The interviewer called the man a murderer. He said "that's what they say" and "I don't like it when they say that".

Doesn't that just make you feel bad? People call him a murderer.

I hope they throw away the key....


(If I can find details about the man, I'll add them to the comments)

1 comment:

A Voice of Reason said...

Sometimes it is so sad that we tend to have a preconceived notion as to what is crime.

Is it as serious a crime when a corporation makes a deal at the expense of pension funds for those who labored faithfully, and a worker dies of heart failure realizing his family's security is wiped away at the stroke of a pen so some person can add another collection of property to the worth.

I think it is.