Saturday, March 10, 2007

Daylight Savings Time

Daylight Savings Time starts tonight. This year it's earlier than in previous times. I recall that growing up in olden times, the time it started and ended changed every year. Congress took time in 1987 to fix the time it started and ended.

So we save an hour at this time and give it back in the fall. Do we save it or borrow it? Who is the banker for the extra time? And is there interest applied? If we're saving time (as the name applies), then six month's of interest should add up. For example, at a simple 4% interest rate, we should gain about 1.2 minutes. Now that doesn't seem like a lot, but if we save that much each year, it could add up over time. In my lifetime, that would come to almost an hour, if you compound the interest, it would probably be more time.

I think I'm going to use my interest time. Cash it in. Maybe take it off work and tell the boss it's time I've saved for years. If it were more time, I'd take an extra vacation. As it is, I think I'll use the time to reset all the clocks I have....

No comments: