Thursday, October 11, 2007

Dedication to God, love of family and Country

This article tells a story that is sad. Seems a young eagle scout (age 17) wanted to honor his grandfather with a flag flown over the capital. So he filled out the necessary paperwork, paid the necessary fees and included a personal dedication that said it was for "his dedication to God, love of family and County." [sic]

But the official rules prevent religious expressions, so the word "God" was removed.

I thought the first amendment said that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." Wasn't this eagle scout exercising his freedom of religion? Isn't Congress (who set up these rules) prohibiting him from that exercise?

(Note: Some headlines and radio reports said that Nancy Pelosi defended this policy. I couldn't find any facts to back that up. If you find any comments by Pelosi pro/con please let me know)

6 comments:

David said...

I don't see why someone can't request that "God" be printed on the certificates as long as it isn't on there by default and the same option is available to every other religion.

Randy said...

I agree. Apparently, Sen Pelosi is that one that will have to change the rules. It's been requested, I have not yet seen her reply.

David said...

The policy was just changed. Here's the news story.

Randy said...

Wow! I didn't know Sen. Pelosi read my blog! I certainly didn't expect to get results that quick either.

I guess sometimes I don't realize my own power!


(Thanks for the news tip. I haven't had a chance to keep up with much at all today)

Randy said...

In my comments, I mistakenly called Ms. Pelosi a senator.

Actually, she's Rep. Pelosi.

David said...

While I doubt Rep. Pelosi read your post (I get the joke) I wouldn't be all that surprised if someone from her office did. It's almost scary how elected officials keep track of public opinion.