Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Digital TV Conversion - updated

You may have heard that the conversion to Digital TV has been delayed. CNN reports "The transition to digital-only broadcasts had been set for nearly a decade for February 17, 2009, but 6.5 million households, mostly lower-income, have not bought the newer digital TVs or converters for their old sets." (emphasis mine, full story here).

Congress, the ever caring, is worried about these 6.5million households. Now there are over 111million households (see here), so this is just under 6%. So why is it that we are worried about these 6% of Americans? Well according to the LA Times, "Consumers throughout America . . . will lose access to essential news and information" if the deadline isn't extended (see here).

But wait, people who have access to cable or satellites (or people who thought ahead) will have access to essential news and information. So, we're talking about people who don't have access to cable or satellites. People who only have access to the big networks. Which has been proven over and over to be left leaning. So, if we convert on schedule, those brain-washed by the left, won't be brain-washed anymore. Hmmm, maybe there's more to the story here... Oops I just lost my connection, guess I can't investigate any more.

** Update
Steve beat me to the punch (I guess I slept too late). See in the comments where he points out the vote did not pass and the digital TV conversion will proceed as originally planned. According to one report I read, "millions are unprepared". The switch will (at least for now) still take place on Feb 17. Digital TV sellers will increase prices until then....

6 comments:

Brooke said...

Guess what? Whenever the new date is set, those 6% will still be unprepared.

Just get it over with, I say.

Randy said...

I agree. It will be interesting to see how much of the 6% converts in the next few months. Like you said, probably about 0.

MojoSteve the Lightningman said...

It's 5:05 AM on Thursdaym and the newsies are telling me (on my digital TV with satellite feed) that the measure has been rejected and the conversion will now happen on time. Huzzah! The 94% majority of us have been ready for years, so now the remaining 6% will just have to suffer without being spoon-fed their indoctrinations. (C'mon, it ain't like these people are watching C-SPAN...they just don't wanna miss Springer & Maury.) Last weekend I spotted a PALLET of the converter boxes in WalMart in Walterboro, all priced at $49.99, and the box advertises the Gub'mint Bailout Coupon, so the 6% of the nation is holding out over 10 bucks.

Randy said...

Thanks Steve. One minor correction, a lot of the 6% don't have coupons or the coupons have expired. Doesn't change the fact that 94% are prepared and the other 6% are holding out for $10-$50. And who knows if they even WANT to convert. Let them turn the TV off.

I remember as a kid we went without TV for a few months when ours finally blew some tubes we couldn't fine. I guess maybe that's the reason I am so warped now, all that time with no TV...

Brian the Red said...

I'd be willing to bet that 6% of the 6% are holding out on purpose, so that when a tornado wipes out their uninsured trailer they can sue the government for not ensuring they had access to the local doppler radar.

Randy said...

Brian, I hadn't thought of that. But you're right, I'll bet there will be lawsuits.