Wednesday, July 01, 2009

And now the hard part

I've made the last two posts notes to my sons/daughters/-in-laws, with some directions on how they should treat their marriages. And now comes the hard part... living it on a day-to-day basis.

When I first got married, I naively was looking forward to the day when I could coast. Looking for that day when everything was safe. Once past that day, I wouldn't have to work to protect my marriage and I would know that my marriage would be safe forever and ever, amen.

Of course that's one of those fleeting thoughts and as soon as you express it, you realize how silly it is. No, you realize, you're going to have to work each day to prove your love to your spouse, to protect your heart from those that would steal it. You're going to have to show her each day that she made the right choice when she said "I do."

But then, I realized there's two simple reasons not to fear this continued work. First, it's not that hard. Watch your heart, don't get into situations that create an opportunity for problems. Listen to her (or him for the ladies) daily, actually care about what's going on in their life.

Second, the benefits of working on your marriage daily are fabulous. So while this is the hard part, in many ways, it's the easy part too.

1 comment:

Nena said...

You are a wonderful husband. You do prove each day how much you love me and respect me. I am very blessed to have found such a caring, honest, and loving husband, father, and friend. I love you.